You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 Battery Status Issues

Hello all,

Recently, I have been having issues with my MacBook Pro 2017 (no touch bar) and its battery status.

Below are my MacBook's specs:

My battery always shows "Battery Not Charging" and power source: power adapter, regardless of whether the power adapter is plugged in or not. Occasionally, the MacBook will actually charge, however, most of the time I will have it plugged in and it will get to 5 percent before I realize it was never charging.

I have tried the SMC reset, contacted Apple Support, used 3 different cables/adapters, but I am still having the same issue. I have attached what the system report shows; also the battery health is normal.

I am wondering if there is some other potential fix for this because taking my MacBook to a service center is difficult at the moment as I'm abroad for a limited amount of time for work and I really need my MacBook to be fully functional. :\ I have also tried reformatting my hard drive and wiping the data but that has not helped.

I am currently trying to install Big Sur in hopes it might resolve the issue but the installation keeps being unsuccessful, so right now I am trying to install Catalina and then Big Sur to see if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated!!

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 1:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 8:54 PM

Hello trisharks,

This is more of a guess but I am noticing your system report is only showing 12 watts for the AC Charger. I think it may not have enough wattage to charge the battery. If your Mac battery status is “Not Charging” - Apple Support

I am not exactly sure which model you have but the Essentials Guide for the 2017 - two Thunderbolt 3 ports model says: "Charge the battery. Connect your MacBook Pro to a power outlet using the included USB-C Charge Cable and 61W or 87W USB-C Power Adapter." https://help.apple.com/macbookprothunderbolt3/late-2018 (I am not sure why it says late 2018) Just in case this is the link for manuals in general Apple - Support - Manuals

Since this is happening with multiple adapters and you mentioned you are abroad the countries electrical system could be the actual issue if it does not deliver a wattage high enough for the battery to begin charging. There may be an adapter that can up the wattage but I don't remember if wattage can be increased or only reduced so that may not exist.

I hope this is helpful and leads to a solution for you.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2021 8:54 PM in response to trisharks

Hello trisharks,

This is more of a guess but I am noticing your system report is only showing 12 watts for the AC Charger. I think it may not have enough wattage to charge the battery. If your Mac battery status is “Not Charging” - Apple Support

I am not exactly sure which model you have but the Essentials Guide for the 2017 - two Thunderbolt 3 ports model says: "Charge the battery. Connect your MacBook Pro to a power outlet using the included USB-C Charge Cable and 61W or 87W USB-C Power Adapter." https://help.apple.com/macbookprothunderbolt3/late-2018 (I am not sure why it says late 2018) Just in case this is the link for manuals in general Apple - Support - Manuals

Since this is happening with multiple adapters and you mentioned you are abroad the countries electrical system could be the actual issue if it does not deliver a wattage high enough for the battery to begin charging. There may be an adapter that can up the wattage but I don't remember if wattage can be increased or only reduced so that may not exist.

I hope this is helpful and leads to a solution for you.

MacBook Pro 2017 Battery Status Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.