You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When paying In-store with my Apple Watch Series 5 GPS + Cellular" (but without an active cellular plan), will Apple Pay still work, when the iphone is off, i.e. iphone battery dies?

When I want to pay with my Apple Watch Series 5 GPS + Cellular in a shop, in this case, will Apple Pay still work, when the iPhone is off, (i.e. iphone battery dies)?

Can I still use Apple Pay on my Apple Watch with no iPhone or a Wi-Fi connection (i.e. when a public hotspot is also not available.)

*My Apple Watch is a cellular one, yet I don't have an eSim active plan. I will order it later, and for now I use it without an e-Sim plan.

I'd appreciate an answer and many thanks in advance for every answer.

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 2:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 10:34 AM

I have actually tried it, to be fully sure. So I thought it’s best answer if I see it by trying. And Apple Watch with no active cellular data and no connection to iPhone, when the iPhone battery is dead or it’s not with you, for example, Apple Pay on your Apple Watch will pay without an issue, with absolute no cellular or WiFi needed, but of course this given your card in Apple Pay is already set up on your Apple Watch. After it’s set, you don’t need any connection, you will need to have only battery, for the Watch to function. Tested, works. 👌🏻👍🏻

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2021 10:34 AM in response to yski

I have actually tried it, to be fully sure. So I thought it’s best answer if I see it by trying. And Apple Watch with no active cellular data and no connection to iPhone, when the iPhone battery is dead or it’s not with you, for example, Apple Pay on your Apple Watch will pay without an issue, with absolute no cellular or WiFi needed, but of course this given your card in Apple Pay is already set up on your Apple Watch. After it’s set, you don’t need any connection, you will need to have only battery, for the Watch to function. Tested, works. 👌🏻👍🏻

When paying In-store with my Apple Watch Series 5 GPS + Cellular" (but without an active cellular plan), will Apple Pay still work, when the iphone is off, i.e. iphone battery dies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.