You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Displays on Macbook Air M1

Hi all,

from what i could research i understand that the new M1 MacBooks do not support two external displays. However, every test that stated this used the MacBooks display as a third display.

Now I wonder if the M1 chips maybe limits the output to two displays, no matter what kind.

So my question would be if i could use two external monitors while having the MacBooks lid shut and not using the internal display and in total only two?

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 3:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 8:30 AM

Click on this link to read how to 'Use external monitors with your Mac' --> https://support.apple.com/HT202351

"If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon [M1], you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop." A M1 Mac Mini can support an additional display because it uses one over its HDMI port.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 5, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Jasperooo

Click on this link to read how to 'Use external monitors with your Mac' --> https://support.apple.com/HT202351

"If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon [M1], you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop." A M1 Mac Mini can support an additional display because it uses one over its HDMI port.

Two Displays on Macbook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.