You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple watch series 1 screen is coming off due to the battery swelling. Is this a defect?

My Apple watch series 1 screen is coming off due to the battery swelling. Is this a defect?

Apple Watch Series 1, watchOS 4

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 8:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 10:30 AM

I don't believe it is a defect. It may happen with age. To understand Apple Watch performance and its relation to your battery, see:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple Watch Battery and Performance - Apple Support

“Battery life” is the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged. “Battery lifespan” is the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced. Maximize both and you’ll get the most out of your Apple devices, no matter which ones you own. See the "Tips for Apple Watch" section in:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

For repair & service:

watch Repair - Official Apple Support

watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2021 10:30 AM in response to HarrisonFort

I don't believe it is a defect. It may happen with age. To understand Apple Watch performance and its relation to your battery, see:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple Watch Battery and Performance - Apple Support

“Battery life” is the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged. “Battery lifespan” is the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced. Maximize both and you’ll get the most out of your Apple devices, no matter which ones you own. See the "Tips for Apple Watch" section in:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

For repair & service:

watch Repair - Official Apple Support

watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2021 10:58 AM in response to javaliga

I have read that the battery in the Apple Watch have expanded and cause the screen to lift out of the case. I thought that it may be a manufacturing defect. I guess if it is not, then it is just poor construction. Oh Well its out of warranty and it would cost me as much as buying a new Apple watch 3. I guess I will just put a case cover on the screen and keep using it.

Thank you.

Aug 27, 2021 10:10 AM in response to javaliga

Haha! Is it a feature? No! Of course it's a defect.

Whether it is a design defect or a manufacturing defect doesn't change anything for us users: we bought a watch that is not supposed to loose its screen. Period.

I replaced a bloated battery twice on my wife's Series 0 due to the screen popping out. I thought the issue with hers was that she mostly left it on charger and didn't wear it much. So both times I bought an original battery and followed a YouTube tutorial to swap it out properly (both times easily done), but they both only lasted around a year before puffing up and popping the screen out again.

But now I just noticed my Series 1's screen has become loose in the front (side facing me), and I can tell by the bounciness of it that the battery underneath is definitely applying some pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and Apple Watch. The adhesive holding the watch screen was just not a good design choice. I don't think it was deliberate, but I would expect a serious manufacturer to own their mistake and properly compensate customers. In my case, I would favorably consider an exchange for a Series that doesn't have the issue (is there one?) or a full refund (even towards the purchase of a Series 6 for example) or a free battery swap by Apple every time it pops out. Anything less will feel to me like a cheap trick to get me to buy a replacement.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.