You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard language inexplicably changed

Was just typing an email and certain keys were typing a letter or symbol NOT associated with their label. Upon further examination, I noticed the keyboard language had changed from American English to French. I don't speak French and had never selected that as a keyboard language on this new MacBook Air (M1, 2002) purchased from Apple.

Any idea as to how the French keyboard language appeared?

Do I need to worry that someone else has some control over my laptop?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 5:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 6:55 PM

Just go to system preferences > keyboard > input sources and make sure there is only one item on the list, and that the name of that item is "US". Use the minus button to remove French and any others.

There are various ways items can get mistakenly added to that list, nothing to worry about.

3 replies

Aug 2, 2021 2:42 AM in response to tonyfromindianapolis

tonyfromindianapolis wrote:

Thanks, but already removed it from the list.
The concern for me is that I was never in that list to ADD the French keyboard in the first place.

Is your problem solved now, or do you still find your keyboard switching even if US is the only item on the list? If you still have the problem, could you post a screen shot of what you are seeing? French characters can be also be made with the US layout via hold and press of certain keys and via certain option key shortcuts.

Keyboards can sometimes get added randomly or in ways the user would not expect. I have not seen any cases where this was anything to worry about.

Keyboard language inexplicably changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.