You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.5.1 another device not working after an update? (Epson Scanner)

Hi, I'm here again for help: a few months ago I asked for help for a Samsung ML 1865 laser printer that with the upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur despite a month of attempts I had to use it under virtual Windows 7.

Fortunately I still had an Epson 1250 Photo scanner that was compatible with Big Sur ... IT WAS !!! After updating to 11.5.1 I get a warning that "You do not have the necessary permissions to open the" EPSON Scanner "application.

I tried to :

- uninstall the driver and reinstall

- restart, change USB port

- reset the printing system

Anyone know a real solution for an application that worked up to 2 days ago?

Thanks in advance

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 4:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 12:06 PM

I found a surprisingly simple solution:

Go to

Macintosh HD -> Library -> Image Capture -> Devices

You will find the "EPSON Scanner.app" there.

Double click it and macOS will ask you if you want to open this app. Open it.

It seems that nothing happens, but from now on the Scanner works again in Preview, Image Capture etc.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 2, 2021 12:06 PM in response to Joni71

Go to

It seems that nothing happens, but from now on the Scanner works again in Preview, Image Capture etc.

Aug 3, 2021 8:19 AM in response to saxophone musician

Incredible your solution is the right one: I too tried to click on EPSON Scanner but nothing had changed and I had not received any warning. After reading your answer I copied the file on the desktop open it and at that moment the notice to open came and I heard the scanner start working again. Thank you for your suggestion !!!!

Luigi

PS to prevent future problems i put the "new" Epson Scanner in Device folder

Aug 6, 2021 9:26 AM in response to Joni71

This method is not working for me. I can find Epson Scanner.app, but when I double click the file does not open.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Go to

Aug 6, 2021 12:25 PM in response to Silvergirl66

As i wrote: "It seems that nothing happens" when you double click it.

But now you should be able to scan via the macOS-Apps Preview or Image Capture as it should do without the given workaround.

If you don't get a warning message (which you have to confirm) after double clicking the "Epson Scanner.app", please read the solution of Joni71 above.

Big Sur 11.5.1 another device not working after an update? (Epson Scanner)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.