You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all my printers lost with todays update

I updated my iMac 27" (late 2015) today to 11.5.1 and all my printer(s) have disappeared. Even the alias on the d/top is gone.

This is not the first time this has happened as I was always able to go to printers in the library and restore.

Todays update has removed all ref; to my Epson printer.

Anyone else noticed this problem

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 9:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 9:37 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

First, delete all printer software. Next, Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support. Finally, Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support. If AirPrint is shown as an option when you set it up, use that.

Jack

7 replies

Jul 26, 2021 9:53 PM in response to Jack-19

Thanks - its not the first time this has happened. Its been the same for quite a few updates.

However, I have now followed your suggestions but no printer found initially - must have printer switched on and then

it appears in the Printers List.

This update has also turned off my external disks used by T/machine for backups from the green t/machine icon to a orange coloured disk icon!!

Jul 27, 2021 12:23 AM in response to Jack-19

Does it still print with the missing alias? - No because the printer is nowhere to be found as has happened today.

Is there a reason that an alias must be on your desktop? - No - other than for convenience. Its so much easier to open up my printer when either printing or scanning, from the alias than going to & searching for the printer app. I'm aware I can keep the app in the dock.

This problem has been around for some time. My daughter even had the same issue the last time there was an update and she has an iMac like mine.

Jul 30, 2021 9:07 AM in response to ribbo39

I recently updated to Big Sur 11.5.0 and my printer icon disappeared. everything was fine after a reinstall of the epson software from their website. the update to 11.5.1 just erased all my printer info again so I have downloaded and reinstalled the software and was able to print. hopefully this solved the issue and will not reoccur. keeping my fingers crossed!

all my printers lost with todays update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.