You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i no longer have my old phone. how do i get my old messages back?

Is there any way to restore old imessages if i no longer have the old phone?

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 6:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 8:03 AM

You need another device or computer. If a device and you were syncing Messages using iCloud, sign into Settings/Messages using the same Apple ID. Then go to Settings/Your Name, sign in using the same Apple ID. Then go to iCloud, and turn Messages syncing on. The sync is very, very slow. On a computer, go to Messages/Preferences/Accounts and create an account using the same Apple ID. Then go to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina or later), sign in, and turn Messages syncing on.

If you weren't syncing Messages to iCloud, if you have a backup, you can it restore to another device. Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2021 8:03 AM in response to sarina150

You need another device or computer. If a device and you were syncing Messages using iCloud, sign into Settings/Messages using the same Apple ID. Then go to Settings/Your Name, sign in using the same Apple ID. Then go to iCloud, and turn Messages syncing on. The sync is very, very slow. On a computer, go to Messages/Preferences/Accounts and create an account using the same Apple ID. Then go to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina or later), sign in, and turn Messages syncing on.

If you weren't syncing Messages to iCloud, if you have a backup, you can it restore to another device. Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    

i no longer have my old phone. how do i get my old messages back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.