You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot activate face time and imessage on my phone.

ip[hone 6 FaceTime and iMessage work perfectly for 6 years. suggesntly yesterday it stop sending messages. I went to setting and the imessage /Facetime were off. I cannot turn it on since. First it shows error " awaiting activation". I follow support article on apple site and

-checked my time/zone

• verified my Apple user ID
  • rebut iphone 6 time
  • sign of and sign into my Apple account
  • ensure I have wifi
  • update my SW to current version

As a final step, I called Apple support and spoke with senior advisor. I was suggested to contact wireless provider to delivery to apple support case ID with provider, but I cannot do it because I activated my US purchased phone in Russia with russian wireless provider during vacation. Since i return back home to NA, there were no problems for 5 years using both, facetime/imessage. i cannot call them because i do not pay their service in North America but still have their chip to received message from my bank account. any way, i do not want any new wireless provider. Apple know why, since i used required me to change a wireless provider to activate iMessage/Facetime. I don't I used for 5 years with no problem with setting as it is now. Any advice, what I can do else?

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 6:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 2:09 AM

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency who issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS Only)

See the pic below

4 Step Process --> Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime (The order/sequence is very important)

1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
  3. Restart your device.
  4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on (Watch the GIF hereunder)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2021 2:09 AM in response to omsohum

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency who issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS Only)

See the pic below

4 Step Process --> Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime (The order/sequence is very important)

1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
  3. Restart your device.
  4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on (Watch the GIF hereunder)

cannot activate face time and imessage on my phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.