You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't copy my Documents folder even though I'm logged in as admin; it says I have "unknown access"

When the Finder refused to even copy my documents folder to an external SSD the first thing I did was use the command I to get info.

However under sharing and permissions it says "You have unknown access"

There is no padlock icon to click on and there are no listed groups with permissions.

Any thoughts on how I fix this? I can open the files in the folder but I'd like to be able to back them up to another drive.

Thanks!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 4:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 8:49 PM

See if this works...

Do a Get info on your Home folder, unlock the lock in the Get Info panel. Make sure it says you have Read & Write privileges.

Using the tiny gear icon, use the drop down to "Apply to enclosed items...

4 replies

Jul 20, 2021 8:03 AM in response to trinko

I have the same issue since yesterday.

A reboot fixed it for a day, but it's doing it again.

I can access the files from the browser for example when I want to upload them to Google Drive or attach something to Gmail. Also I can access the files from the Terminal, but not from the Finder.

I am doing regular backups, but since I have absolutely no idea what caused this issue, there's no point in going back to a three days old version.

It's also not possible to set the permissions as no padlock is showing up in the window. Also I have read somewhere that using chmod 777 is not working either.

Any other ideas?

I can't copy my Documents folder even though I'm logged in as admin; it says I have "unknown access"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.