You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging problems on iPad 12.9, gen 3

My wife and I have identical iPad 12.9 3rd generation. I have started having problems with my iPad not charging when connected to any charging setup. Sometimes, it doesn't recognize being connected and sometimes it does but says "Not Charging." Any idea why this is happening? It is only happening on one iPad, and as mentioned, they are identical, purchased at the same time. Thanks.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 6:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 5:00 AM

Your should start here - with basic troubleshooting of potential charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Having established that neither your Power Adapter or charging cables have are obviously defective, you would be well advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where your iPad, Power Adapter(s) and charging cable(s) can be assessed and tested by the Apple Technicians.

Of this is not possible, you should contact Apple Support for assistance. It is possible to remotely test some aspects of the iPad hardware. Whilst remote testing is not a substitute for “hands-on” assessment of the device, it may identify a fundamental hardware issue.

Apple Support can be directly contacted using the Get Support link (also found at top-right of this and every Apple Support Communities page). Alternatively, you can initiate a support case using the excellent Apple Support App:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2021 5:00 AM in response to PuppyDoc

Your should start here - with basic troubleshooting of potential charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Having established that neither your Power Adapter or charging cables have are obviously defective, you would be well advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where your iPad, Power Adapter(s) and charging cable(s) can be assessed and tested by the Apple Technicians.

Of this is not possible, you should contact Apple Support for assistance. It is possible to remotely test some aspects of the iPad hardware. Whilst remote testing is not a substitute for “hands-on” assessment of the device, it may identify a fundamental hardware issue.

Apple Support can be directly contacted using the Get Support link (also found at top-right of this and every Apple Support Communities page). Alternatively, you can initiate a support case using the excellent Apple Support App:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Jul 14, 2021 4:43 AM in response to MichelPM

Yes I have. I have tried multiple different configurations of cables and power sources. I have even tried each configuration on my wife’s iPad and they all seem to work just fine on hers. There is an interesting new development however. I did yet another restart and got it to charge yesterday. But it has indicated still being connected to a charging source even though it has been disconnected for over 12 hours.

Charging problems on iPad 12.9, gen 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.