You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I change an Apple ID on an iPhone, will I lose my photos and contacts etc?

Hi there, I'd be grateful for some help! A friend gave me an iPhone 6 (my first foray into iPhones though I am hoping to upgrade soon - it's still ace though) and it still has his Apple ID on it. It hasn't got a sim in it and I have been using it more as a camera to be honest and also using WhatsApp. I've just recovered my old Apple ID and want to set up the phone as 'mine', but I'm worried I'll lose my photos. Can any one give me any advice?

Thank you,

Benjinca

iPhone 6

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 1:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 3:16 AM

If you have not enabled iCloud Photos and you have not created your Contact list on iCloud then you will not lose them,

The items that are on your device and not linked to iCloud will remain on your device even after you change your Apple ID. You will lose access to iCloud Keychain because that is associated with an Apple ID/

iCloud messages / iCloud Notes / iCloud Calendars / iCloud Reminders etc. (See the Pic below), everything you have enabled will be gone. However, when you log in back to the device with this Apple ID all data will be back. So you lose nothing, the loss is only temporary.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2021 3:16 AM in response to Benjinca

If you have not enabled iCloud Photos and you have not created your Contact list on iCloud then you will not lose them,

The items that are on your device and not linked to iCloud will remain on your device even after you change your Apple ID. You will lose access to iCloud Keychain because that is associated with an Apple ID/

iCloud messages / iCloud Notes / iCloud Calendars / iCloud Reminders etc. (See the Pic below), everything you have enabled will be gone. However, when you log in back to the device with this Apple ID all data will be back. So you lose nothing, the loss is only temporary.

If I change an Apple ID on an iPhone, will I lose my photos and contacts etc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.