You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to retrieve deleted messages

how to retrieve deleted message

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 4:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 4:31 PM

LgDuggan Said:

"how to retrieve deleted message"

-------

Recovering Deleted Text Messages:

A. Was iCloud Messages Set Up?:

• If you have Messages enabled with iCloud, then check and see if they reside in there, using another device accosted to iCloud, that has not been associated to the internet yet. That way, nothing has synced.

Go Here: Set up Messages on iPhone - Apple Support

B. Any Backup of your iPhone?:

C. Log into iCloud:

If everything was syncing with iCloud, then Messages, and lots of other items would be obtainable from iCloud. So, go here to recover these: Recover Deleted Files on iCloud.com - Apple Support. But, just know if they are deleted from iCloud, then they are deleted and are gone. That's just the way it is :(

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2021 4:31 PM in response to LgDuggan

LgDuggan Said:

"how to retrieve deleted message"

-------

Recovering Deleted Text Messages:

A. Was iCloud Messages Set Up?:

• If you have Messages enabled with iCloud, then check and see if they reside in there, using another device accosted to iCloud, that has not been associated to the internet yet. That way, nothing has synced.

Go Here: Set up Messages on iPhone - Apple Support

B. Any Backup of your iPhone?:

C. Log into iCloud:

If everything was syncing with iCloud, then Messages, and lots of other items would be obtainable from iCloud. So, go here to recover these: Recover Deleted Files on iCloud.com - Apple Support. But, just know if they are deleted from iCloud, then they are deleted and are gone. That's just the way it is :(

Jul 7, 2021 7:41 AM in response to TheLittles

Your advice to go to www.icloud.com is wrong. Messages are not accessible there at all. They never have been.

To the OP:

On your iPhone go to the Settings App > Your Name, iCloud, etc.

Tap iCloud

Are messages turned on (green)?

If they are when you deleted them, they were deleted everywhere and cannot be restored.

If Messages are NOT turned on AND you have a backup you made from before you deleted the messages, you can restore your phone from that backup, BUT be advised your phone will be restored to the date the backup was made, meaning messages sent or received after the backup date will be gone.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jul 7, 2021 7:20 PM in response to lobsterghost1

lobsterghost1 Said:

"To TheLittles: I'm sure you saw my not too flattering post and I wanted to sincerely apologize to you. I am glad you are here and I never meant to be rude. I suppose I can chalk it up to a really bad day as we were preparing for a hurricane in my neck of the woods, but that doesn't justify rudeness at all."

-------

Thank you, and I accept you apology. Stay safe.

Jul 7, 2021 7:56 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks. After days of constant warnings from the weather services and after moving all the outdoor things which could become missiles inside and making sure all windows were caulked the sliding glass doors (we have a lot of them overlooking the river) had their tracks cleaned, the storm came and was essentially a dud. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. We'd rather have a dud. We got plenty of rain. But very little wind. And nothing was damaged and we never lost power.

how to retrieve deleted messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.