You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" late 2014 NVMe upgrade

I would like to my iMac 27 last 2014 fusion drive to NVMe ssd.

Because my iMac doesn't work anymore after Big Sur upgrade. Looks like Big Sur didn't recognize my iMac fusion drive.

I found related discussion :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252472545?answerId=254687632022#254687632022

But I would like to need a confirmation that samsung m2 ssd will work with Sintech M.2 nVME SSD Adapter or not.

Any comment will be appreciated.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 10:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 10:44 PM

Try this. This will erase all data on the Fusion Drive:

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Turn on the Mac, and immediately press and hold Option + Command + R until you see a spinning globe.
  3. Once you are in macOS Recovery, verify you are connected to WiFi in the top right corner. If possible, connect directly to the internet with Ethernet. 
  4. Go to Disk Utility.
  5. Select "View" in the toolbar —> "Show All Devices".
  6. Select "Macintosh HD", or your volume name.
  7. Click Erase, and input the following exactly:
  8. Name: Macintosh HD
  9. Format: APFS
  10. Click Erase. If “Erase Volume Group” is shown, use that instead. 
  11. Quit Disk Utility
  12. Go to the reinstall macOS app.
  13. Follow the prompts, and install on Macintosh HD.

-Jack

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 7, 2021 10:44 PM in response to youngho1203

Try this. This will erase all data on the Fusion Drive:

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Turn on the Mac, and immediately press and hold Option + Command + R until you see a spinning globe.
  3. Once you are in macOS Recovery, verify you are connected to WiFi in the top right corner. If possible, connect directly to the internet with Ethernet. 
  4. Go to Disk Utility.
  5. Select "View" in the toolbar —> "Show All Devices".
  6. Select "Macintosh HD", or your volume name.
  7. Click Erase, and input the following exactly:
  8. Name: Macintosh HD
  9. Format: APFS
  10. Click Erase. If “Erase Volume Group” is shown, use that instead. 
  11. Quit Disk Utility
  12. Go to the reinstall macOS app.
  13. Follow the prompts, and install on Macintosh HD.

-Jack

Jul 9, 2021 5:12 PM in response to youngho1203

Download a Knoppix v8.6.1 DVD .iso image if it is still available, otherwise download the most recent version (I have not personally tried the v9.x version yet). Get one with "EN" in the name for "ENglish". Use the downloaded Knoppix .iso file as a source for Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux) which will create a bootable USB stick. Option Boot the Knoppix USB stick and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". The Mac may appear frozen on the boot picker menu so give Knoppix lots of time to finish booting.

Once it boots to the Knoppix desktop click the "Start" menu button on the lower left corner of the Taskbar and navigate the menus to "System Tools ---> GSmartControl". Within the GSmartControl app double-click on the icon for the hard drive which will open the health report for the drive as the hard drive is the most likely drive to be failing. Post the complete report here.

Jul 6, 2021 1:24 AM in response to youngho1203

That is a couple of people with issues. A very very small number. Millions with Fusion Drive have upgraded without issues. If it was a widespread big issue, macOS Big Sur would not be available for Fusion Drive.

Just to confirm; your Mac doesn't work at all? Does it boot? What does it show upon startup? Please explain the exact issue.

-Jack

Jul 8, 2021 6:46 AM in response to youngho1203

If the hard drive part of the Fusion Drive is failing, then you will get these issues. Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. If the diagnostic does not report any issues, then I can provide instructions for creating and using a Linux boot USB stick to check the health of the hard drive. Let me know if you are interested in the latter option.

iMac 27" late 2014 NVMe upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.