You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect the use my macmini as the optical drive (CD/DVD) for my new MacBook pro?

When I followed all of these directions for connecting one mac to another to use the optical drive, using my Mac mini as the optical drive for my new MacBook pro, it just connects to the hard drive and doesn't show the CD/DVD drive. How do I access the cd/DVD optical drive?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 1:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 2:47 PM

Just found this:

"Share DVDs and CDs on Mac

If your Mac has an external optical drive connected, you can share the drive with another Mac on the same network with macOS 10.14 or earlier installed.

Note: You can’t access a shared optical drive on a computer with macOS Catalina 10.15 or later installed."

Here's the link to a newer support doc than the one you were following:

Share DVDs and CDs on Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/share-dvds-and-cds-on-mac-mh19569/mac

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 28, 2021 2:47 PM in response to Noclue2021

Just found this:

"Share DVDs and CDs on Mac

If your Mac has an external optical drive connected, you can share the drive with another Mac on the same network with macOS 10.14 or earlier installed.

Note: You can’t access a shared optical drive on a computer with macOS Catalina 10.15 or later installed."

Here's the link to a newer support doc than the one you were following:

Share DVDs and CDs on Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/share-dvds-and-cds-on-mac-mh19569/mac

Jun 28, 2021 2:54 PM in response to Noclue2021

An idea may be to find suitable external optical media DVD/CD RW that would

sit nearby, instead of unreliable (or unworkable) drive within another Mac.

Examples of tray-load models were better & reliable. Best if 'Not' bus-powered.

OWC site shows some. (Suitability may vary with USB-C adapters, etc.)

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/optical-drives

Issues had plagued use of 'other older' Mac as optical drives, you've considered.

The better stand-alone models had almost always been superior to built-in ones.

Jun 29, 2021 6:52 AM in response to K Shaffer

Yes, I think that will have to be the way to go. Not a fan of Apple removing the dvd drive from their MacBooks, plus their new software doesn’t work with most of my older and recently purchased (less than 1 year ago) games/software.

almost enough to make me go back to Microsoft, but seeing I dropped some cash on the new MacBook Pro, I’m stuck,

thanks for your help.

How do I connect the use my macmini as the optical drive (CD/DVD) for my new MacBook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.