You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Mailboxes and Contents

I had to wipe and restore a damaged drive that contained my system and applications. After reinstalling Apple Mail all my saved emails, some with important numbers and reminders, were gone. I have that drive saved on Time Machine. Is there any way to recover those emails from there?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 1:00 PM

4 replies

Jun 24, 2021 11:08 AM in response to GeoPud

Hi GeoPud,

If we're understanding things correctly, you're looking to try and recover some content from a Time Machine backup. We can certainly help out with that.

If you'd like to restore the Mac fully from that backup, and not solely the emails/reminders/contacts, this page will walk you through the process: Restore your Mac from a backup

You can instead opt to restore specific files via this link's assistance: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac

Take care!

Jun 25, 2021 12:46 PM in response to GeoPud

GeoPud,

We can help to clarify further so that you may restore the desired contents from Time Machine.

When following the guide on restoring a particular app's files (see here: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac ), it will note "On your Mac, open a window for the item you want to restore. For example, to recover a file you accidentally deleted from your Documents folder, open the Documents folder." So for emails to be restored from the Mail app, first open a Mail window.

Then, proceed with the same guide to launch Time Machine, and it should show the different 'ticks' on the right side, representing different backups. Select the desired date/backup in here, and then you may restore the content as needed. Restored items will then return to their original location.

We hope that helps out a bit.

Lost Mailboxes and Contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.