You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spam Texts - Filter Unkown Senders Enabled

So, I've started to received spam text messages, to my dismay. I have been diligently BLOCKING these numbers on my iPhone, which is a nuisance. But for a long time, I was reluctant to enable FILTER UNKOWN SENDERS on my phone.

Now I've noticed that I'm still receiving spam texts from a blocked number. I went ahead and enabled FILTER UKNOWN SENDERS but I am still receiving spam texts. How can this be?

What other actions can I take to stop spam texts from cell numbers? Besides changing my phone number?

(Gmail does a great job of filtering spam, but I still have to empty out that folder every day.)

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 8:55 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 20, 2021 11:07 AM in response to Tom Hanser

Hello there Tom, 

It sounds like you are receiving spam and junk messages on your iPhone even with Filter Unknown Senders enabled and after blocking these numbers. We’d be glad to assist.

To confirm, did you follow the steps outlined here to block and filter these messages?

Block, filter, and report messages on iPhone

If so, do unknown senders get filtered into the Unknown Senders tab in the Messages list or are they not being sorted into this list?

Let’s also ensure your iPhone is fully updated and check for any carrier settings updates.

Cheers!

Jun 21, 2021 6:58 AM in response to Ben_Z1

Thanks, Ben_Z1.

I've followed all of these steps you've described except for REPORT JUNK, which I will try next.

My iPhone is updated, and Filter Unknown Senders is turned on.

I continue to block these spam phone numbers as they arrive and recently I noticed a blocked number was continuing to send spam texts to my phone. How can that be?

Do I need to contact my carrier to prevent these spam texts from arriving?

Thanks again.

Jun 21, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Tom Hanser

Tom, 

We appreciate that additional information. 

Since your iPhone is fully updated and there are no carrier settings updates available, are you using any kind of call filtering apps? If so, does this continue if they are removed?

If you are not using any call filtering apps or this continues after they are removed, then we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support to get the best assistance going forward.

Get Support

Take care!

Spam Texts - Filter Unkown Senders Enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.