You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery discharging while power adapter connected to MacBook Pro M1

Hi there,

I have bought an Apple MacBook Pro M1 in December 2020, and in last day I have saw some strange behaviours:

Two weeks ago, I have fully charged the MacBook and next 2 days, I have saw a drop to 99% and charging, while all this time the power adapter was connected!

Yesterday I have fully charged my MacBook and leave it with the power adapter connected(100% battery)

-today I have checked my battery with coconutBattery and that app sayd that my battery was around 90%, but my battery in mb status bar was 100%. So, I have did a restart. After restart, the battery in mb status bar was to 91% and started charging ...

How is possible to discarge from 100% to 91% in a day(24 hours, from yesterday to today) while in all this time the power adapter was connected to my MacBook? And why I have saw this drop ONLY AFTER RESTART?

It is normal ? Can someone tell me if I need to go to service or is a normal behaviour ?

This is battery health management? Maybe apple doesn't show the discharging rate (only in case of restart, like mine) to not panic users and is normal ?

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 4:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 4:58 AM

I do see the percentage going down, but it is a very slow process. If I was merely using the Mac to read and respond to post where on the forum, it would probably be 6 or more hours before the percentage dropped to ~89% and the battery again started charging.

The Apple articles below may help.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 2, 2021 4:58 AM in response to Eduard1995

I do see the percentage going down, but it is a very slow process. If I was merely using the Mac to read and respond to post where on the forum, it would probably be 6 or more hours before the percentage dropped to ~89% and the battery again started charging.

The Apple articles below may help.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Jun 2, 2021 7:15 AM in response to Eduard1995

You’re welcome. I don’t spend a lot of time on the MacBook Air, but when I do use it for any extended periods, I do note that the charging cycle will slowly drop until it reaches the threshold, and again starts charging. While I was trying to troubleshoot the behaviour when I first witnessed it, I now know it is expected behaviour.

Battery discharging while power adapter connected to MacBook Pro M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.