You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop and icloud

Hi - so if I understand it, the 'desktop' on my MacBook pro, if iCloud enabled, is a hybrid phenominon - all of the 'desktop' exists in iCloud, but only some of it on my actual computer (if I turn wifi off, only some of the files appearing on my 'desktop' are available).

Is this correct?

if I want a file backed up to iCloud, but also available when iCloud is not, I should store a copy of it in my users file on my hard drive.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance - Ray

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 29, 2021 12:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 1:21 PM

By default, iCloud Drive (and the Desktops and Documents option) keeps a local copy on your Mac.

However, if you go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the left sidebar) and then put a check mark in front of "Optimize Mac Storage" near the bottom of that Preferences window then some files may not have a local copy. If you want all files to always have a local copy, do not put a check mark there. Or if you want to use the Optimize Mac Storage option but have a few files that you want to have on iCloud and also locally, you could do as you suggest and keep a second copy somewhere outside of the iCloud Drive folder.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 29, 2021 1:21 PM in response to Raymond Nelson

By default, iCloud Drive (and the Desktops and Documents option) keeps a local copy on your Mac.

However, if you go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the left sidebar) and then put a check mark in front of "Optimize Mac Storage" near the bottom of that Preferences window then some files may not have a local copy. If you want all files to always have a local copy, do not put a check mark there. Or if you want to use the Optimize Mac Storage option but have a few files that you want to have on iCloud and also locally, you could do as you suggest and keep a second copy somewhere outside of the iCloud Drive folder.

desktop and icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.