You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 3

I tried updating an Apple Watch 3 and it says it won’t update unless I do a factory reset

Apple Watch

Posted on May 24, 2021 8:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 8:16 AM

That's correct;

The apple watch 3 GPS only has only 8GB of internal storage, most of that is taken up by the operating system and other critical software. So installing a major update is not going to be easy;

1.Unpair and erase your watch to factory settings.

2.Set up the watch again,but setup as new not from a backup.

3.Update the watch, which now has enough free memory to update

4.Unpair and erase the watch a second time

5.Re-pair the watch with your phone, but choose the backup you made in step 1,another backup is made in step 4 but don't choose that one.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2021 8:16 AM in response to beebes

That's correct;

The apple watch 3 GPS only has only 8GB of internal storage, most of that is taken up by the operating system and other critical software. So installing a major update is not going to be easy;

1.Unpair and erase your watch to factory settings.

2.Set up the watch again,but setup as new not from a backup.

3.Update the watch, which now has enough free memory to update

4.Unpair and erase the watch a second time

5.Re-pair the watch with your phone, but choose the backup you made in step 1,another backup is made in step 4 but don't choose that one.

Jun 1, 2021 3:31 AM in response to Community User

for this reply. But I find it annoying that a device that is 2-3 years old (in my possession) doesn't get regular updates that require me to go through the hassle as desribed.

I would hope Apple recognizes this problems and comes with a solution that supports a standard upgrade that doesn't require 2-3 hours of work to get it fixed. That, plus the fact that I loose my settings each time I go through this hassle.

Does anyone else have another tip/workaround? Or do people from apple read this forum and can they reply?

Regards

Willem

Apple Watch 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.