You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to Big Sur, can no longer print, and print driver no longer supported

Updating to Big Sur was a BIG mistake. I have a MacBook Air and used to print well from HP DeskJet 842c. After updating to BIG Sur, I guess I needed to reinstall the print driver, which is no longer available from HP support. So now I am dead in the water for printing. I learned a HUGE lesson. Read the reviews regarding updates prior to installing them.

Very SAD MacBook Air user. I doubt if I will purchase another Apple Mac device again.

Is there a way to revert back to a previous version of the macOS?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 22, 2021 2:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2021 4:44 AM

Hi,

First of all, try to reset the printing system and re-add the printer.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Check whether the operating system suggests a suitable driver. If necessary, try to use a driver for a similar HP printer model.

When looking for similar printers, the article https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/information-printers-hp may be useful for comparing data streams (the DeskJet 842c appears to use HP PCL 3).

You could perhaps try a macOS generic PCL driver.

You may also want to check whether the Dec 11, 2020 HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS download from Apple at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US contains something useful.

Apparently, there is a Gutenprint driver for the 842c as well.

If you have to carry out experiments with drivers for an old printer, be aware of the risks. Software conflicts cannot be ruled out. Data may be lost. You may have to erase and re-install everything on the computer. A hardware problem is unlikely, but it is impossible to guarantee anything. So, before proceeding, make sure that you know what you are doing. Having at least three backup copies of important files (photos, etc.) is essential.

Be careful when you download drivers from the Internet. Use official printer manufacturer sites, or other trustworthy sites (such as Apple).

If you wish to connect the DeskJet 842c as a network printer, it can possibly be arranged via a small external print server (connected to the USB or parallel port of the printer). Such (used) devices can often be found via an online auction site. A print server with an Ethernet port could be connected to one of the LAN ports of a Wi-Fi router. There are also print servers with built-in W-Fi connectivity.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 22, 2021 4:44 AM in response to linettep-66

Hi,

First of all, try to reset the printing system and re-add the printer.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Check whether the operating system suggests a suitable driver. If necessary, try to use a driver for a similar HP printer model.

When looking for similar printers, the article https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/information-printers-hp may be useful for comparing data streams (the DeskJet 842c appears to use HP PCL 3).

You could perhaps try a macOS generic PCL driver.

You may also want to check whether the Dec 11, 2020 HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS download from Apple at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US contains something useful.

Apparently, there is a Gutenprint driver for the 842c as well.

If you have to carry out experiments with drivers for an old printer, be aware of the risks. Software conflicts cannot be ruled out. Data may be lost. You may have to erase and re-install everything on the computer. A hardware problem is unlikely, but it is impossible to guarantee anything. So, before proceeding, make sure that you know what you are doing. Having at least three backup copies of important files (photos, etc.) is essential.

Be careful when you download drivers from the Internet. Use official printer manufacturer sites, or other trustworthy sites (such as Apple).

If you wish to connect the DeskJet 842c as a network printer, it can possibly be arranged via a small external print server (connected to the USB or parallel port of the printer). Such (used) devices can often be found via an online auction site. A print server with an Ethernet port could be connected to one of the LAN ports of a Wi-Fi router. There are also print servers with built-in W-Fi connectivity.

Updated to Big Sur, can no longer print, and print driver no longer supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.