You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email security for iPhone 12 Pro

I have two questions.

1. in email settings under s/mime, when I try to use the setting encrypt by default, it says “ no valid certificates found”. Is this how it should be?
  2. In my settings it shows ( Trust store version 2021021100 ) & ( Trust asset version 12 ) , is this correct? Is this trustworthy? When I click to try and try to find out it seems very outdated because it shows certificates for IOS 12. Currently my phone shows I have IOS 14.5.1 , this is my personal phone, is this how it should be, and is my phone secure?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on May 16, 2021 8:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 8:40 AM

You’re looking at S/MIME, which is certificate based authentication and encryption. If you don’t have a personal certificate loaded, then the message is as shown. Outside of some specific and user- or organization-specific circumstances, usage of S/MIME is somewhere between rare and negligible.

See: Use S/MIME to send encrypted messages in an Exchange environment in iOS

Also: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/encrypting-email-ios-mail/

If you’re sending something truly sensitive, I’d tend to suggest use of a mechanism other than mail, and other than S/MIME mail.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 16, 2021 8:40 AM in response to Community User

You’re looking at S/MIME, which is certificate based authentication and encryption. If you don’t have a personal certificate loaded, then the message is as shown. Outside of some specific and user- or organization-specific circumstances, usage of S/MIME is somewhere between rare and negligible.

See: Use S/MIME to send encrypted messages in an Exchange environment in iOS

Also: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/encrypting-email-ios-mail/

If you’re sending something truly sensitive, I’d tend to suggest use of a mechanism other than mail, and other than S/MIME mail.

Email security for iPhone 12 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.