You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight not working

Recently spotlight has not been giving me items that are located on my MacBook Air. I have not changed anything. I can be looking at a file in finder, type the name into spotlight and spotlight will not give that as a "find." Is there a setting that I need to change?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:40 PM

Cyclingbob, open up the spotlight system preference. Click on the Privacy tab and near the bottom of the window there is a + button. Click on the and select your Macintosh HD or the name of the hard disk. This will delete your spotlight index for that drive. I would wait about 60 seconds and then select Macintosh HD from the list and click the '-' and remove it from the list. Your computer will reindex the Macintosh HD. Give it a couple of minutes or so and then try to search for a file.

If this doesn't solve the problem let us know. The solution above fixes most common issues users have with spotlight.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 5, 2021 7:40 PM in response to cyclingbob

Cyclingbob, open up the spotlight system preference. Click on the Privacy tab and near the bottom of the window there is a + button. Click on the and select your Macintosh HD or the name of the hard disk. This will delete your spotlight index for that drive. I would wait about 60 seconds and then select Macintosh HD from the list and click the '-' and remove it from the list. Your computer will reindex the Macintosh HD. Give it a couple of minutes or so and then try to search for a file.

If this doesn't solve the problem let us know. The solution above fixes most common issues users have with spotlight.

I hope this helps.

Paul

spotlight not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.