You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad??

So a friend gave me here old iPad but she doesn’t remember her password or pass code to get into it so I can go to settings and wipe it clean. How can I get it back to the factory settings without that? Or do I need to take it to the Ape Store? Any help in this would be great. Thanks so much.

Posted on May 5, 2021 2:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 2:20 AM

Hi BHubsch1,

Your friend needs to read: Sell or give away your iPad - Apple Support.

If your friend forgot their password and passcode, see: If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support and If you forgot the passcode on your iPad, or your iPad is disabled - Apple Support.

Cheers,

Jack

2 replies

May 5, 2021 4:16 PM in response to BHubsch1

If your friend cannot remember her Apple ID info credentials for this iPad, then this iPad is a completely dead and useless device to you.

Activation Lock is a personal data, privacy protection feature that CANNOT EVER be circumvented/defeated.

No one here can help you.

Apple maybe able to help ONLY if your friend still possesses the original sales receipt from Apple and bring both the iPad and Apple sales receipt to your “local” Apple Store.

Other than that Apple will NOT be able to help as they require proof of original ownership of any iOS/iPadOS device/

Also, how old is this iPad, exactly?

If this is an iPad 2, 3, 4 or 1st gen iPad Mini 1, then I would NOT bother with ANY of these iPad models in 2021.

These iPad modes cannot ever upgrade beyond iOS any version of iOS 9 or 20.

These iPad models are too old and obsolete, now.

Sorry.

Apple ended support for all 8-10-year old iOS devices well over 4 years, ago, in 2016.

Third party app developers abandoned and stopped supporting these 8-10-year old iOS devices nearly 3 years, ago, in 2018.

There are, virtually, NO MORE third party apps available from the iOS App Store, any longer!

Third party compatible apps for such old devices are few and far between, now, in 2021.

You’ll never get any older, compatible apps, initially from the iOS App Store for such old iPad models now.

iPad??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.