You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't disable "Play sound on startup"

Since one or two weeks ago (I'm not sure about the cause), I started hearing the boot sound again on startup. So I went into settings and tried turning it off. But whenever I disable "Play sound on startup" setting > leave settings > and check sound settings again the "Play sound on startup" setting is enabled again. It seems like the setting just doesn't turn off.

I've tried creating a new user, starting in safe mode, deleting and creating a new partition and reinstalling Big Sur 11.3 on it but it just doesn't seem to want to turn off. I'm pretty sure there's no smc on M1 Macbooks so would there be a way to fix this? I'm clueless now since even fully reinstalling MacOS doesn't fix the issue.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 2, 2021 12:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 2:33 AM

There are reasons one what it off - accept this. But, it is there for a reason. There are sounds that will occur when cold booting that are used to identify various malfunctioning of the computer. Also, the attaching of charger while computer is off to alert it is being charged.

One can always Mute the sound before shutting down and thus, when restarting viola - no sound.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2021 2:33 AM in response to chldygks

There are reasons one what it off - accept this. But, it is there for a reason. There are sounds that will occur when cold booting that are used to identify various malfunctioning of the computer. Also, the attaching of charger while computer is off to alert it is being charged.

One can always Mute the sound before shutting down and thus, when restarting viola - no sound.

Can't disable "Play sound on startup"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.