You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optimized battery charging in Big Sur

There seems to be a severe problem/issue in Big Sur with the System Preferences > Battery > Optimized battery charging. This week I had two times the same situation. My MacBook Pro (MacBookPro14,3) showed the remaining battery at 4% and kept falling. So I attached it to the Power Adapter. The battery symbol in the menu bar showed a plug symbol instead of the typical thunder charging symbol. The MacBook refused to charge the battery in this critical situation. The battery went down to 1%, and macOS shut the system down and turned the machine off. At the first moment, I thought that the Power Adapter or the cable is broken. But this wasn't the case because, after the shutdown, the battery started to charge. After charging, I performed an SMC reset just in case. Today it happened again. It was the same situation. But this time, I opened the preferences and turned off the "optimized battery charging". The MacBook started immediately to charge the battery.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 2:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 4:35 AM

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

Put context to all this. In Big Sur 11.2.2 - the coded algorithm in Big Sur would perform as outlined in the above linked Apple Document on both Intel and M1 CPUs ( personal experience ). Updating to 11.2.3 - and the Pause @ 80% when on charger is not performing as designed.

Now none of this relate directly to your situation but some insights. The Big Sur 11.3 is in Release Candidate - so one can only hope there will be something in it to fix yous and mine battery charger issues.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2021 4:35 AM in response to sebtomba

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

Put context to all this. In Big Sur 11.2.2 - the coded algorithm in Big Sur would perform as outlined in the above linked Apple Document on both Intel and M1 CPUs ( personal experience ). Updating to 11.2.3 - and the Pause @ 80% when on charger is not performing as designed.

Now none of this relate directly to your situation but some insights. The Big Sur 11.3 is in Release Candidate - so one can only hope there will be something in it to fix yous and mine battery charger issues.

Apr 23, 2021 5:18 AM in response to PRP_53

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.3

TBH, I have no clue how the algorithm is implemented. But I assume it collects stats about the time of the day I'm charging my Mac. So f.e. if I'm always charging around 10 am and use the computer always at 7-8 am, then the algorithm tries to delay the charging until 10 am. But what happens if I'm leaving the MacBook at 11 pm uncharged with only a 10% battery left and go to bed? In the morning, it is probably 8%, and I need to attach it to the power adapter. But the algorithm delays the charging anyway, and the battery (if unnoticed) goes to < 1%. On the other hand, I don't recall that the battery menu showing that charging is on hold and can be enforced. But I may be wrong. Or it's a different issue.

Optimized battery charging in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.