You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

During a call the speaker button does not work

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 7:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 1:48 PM

Greetings TbirdZ2, 

We understand that the speakerphone option is grayed out when on a phone call. 

We’d like to have you work through the steps in the following article If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working

Next, please also launch the Voice Memos app and attempt to record a memo. Are you able to? This is going to tell us a bit more about the microphones in your iPhone and help us determine if hardware may be an issue. 

Thanks. 

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2021 1:48 PM in response to TbirdZ2

Greetings TbirdZ2, 

We understand that the speakerphone option is grayed out when on a phone call. 

We’d like to have you work through the steps in the following article If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working

Next, please also launch the Voice Memos app and attempt to record a memo. Are you able to? This is going to tell us a bit more about the microphones in your iPhone and help us determine if hardware may be an issue. 

Thanks. 

Apr 22, 2021 11:07 AM in response to TbirdZ2

TbirdZ2, 

What happened when you tried to recover a memo in the Voice Memos app? When the display goes blank briefly after you tap the audio button, what happens when it comes back? Does it return to the call and are you then able to tap the audio option again? You mentioned it doesn’t happen with every call, does it seem contact specific? Is there any sort of Bluetooth devices paired with your iPhone at the time?

We’d also like to have you make sure your iPhone is up to date and you can verify whether there are any updates available in Settings > General > Software Update. If there are, be sure to create a backup and then install the update. This article can help with both steps: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Next, we’d like to have you restart your iPhone and test the behavior again. Restart your iPhone

We know intermittent issues can be hard to nail down, these steps are going to help us further isolate the behavior.

Apr 21, 2021 7:41 AM in response to CarlAVII

The speaker button is not greyed out! When on a call and I push the speaker button the entire screen briefly goes blank each time I try to push it. Sometimes during the call I can push it and it will go to the external speaker. It does not happen on every call but when I really need it to go to speaker it will not. Very frustrating.

Apr 24, 2021 5:37 PM in response to AnnieL2

I had no trouble replaying my Voice Memos. After the screen goes blank the whole screen comes back as normal with the speaker button available so when I touch it again the screen briefly goes blank again. This repeats until I give up. Later in the call sometimes I can touch the speaker and then it works. I have tried different fingers with different touches and cannot get it to work when it decides it does not want to go to speaker. I is not contact specific. I usually am not around a bluetooth signal when it happens. My phone is fully updated and I restart about every three days. I just can't correlate the failure to anything.

It is so random.

Apr 25, 2021 11:38 AM in response to TbirdZ2

TbirdZ2, 

Thank you for these additional observations of the issue. Is the proximity sensor that is near the receiver at the top of your iPhone, where you place it against your ear, covered at all when you’re attempting to place the call on speaker? Since the purpose of the proximity sensor is to turn off the display while on a call so you can’t accidentally press a button on the screen, we want to be sure. 

Do any other buttons cause a similar behavior when you’re on a call such as Mute, Keypad, Contacts? 

Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.