You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac self-powering up

I have a 10-year old iMac (now replaced with a newer model). I've taken to shutting it down as it's really only there as a backup computer. However just recently it's taken some nights to turning itself back on after I've done a shutdown.

I'm pretty sure it's properly gone to sleep as the Caps Lock light on the keyboard goes off, if I nudge the mouse nothing happens nor if I hit a key. It's quiet. No disc noise. It's switched off. Or should be !

Happens at midnight. Bizarre.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 8:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 9:14 AM

Roger, check the Energy Saver preference pane. There are two checkboxes you might want to change "uncheck" are Wake for network access and/or Start up automatically after a power failure.

Power could have 'blinked' while you were asleep and maybe there was a scheduled process on your other mac that be checking the network for something.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Paul

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 15, 2021 9:14 AM in response to Roger Sinden

Roger, check the Energy Saver preference pane. There are two checkboxes you might want to change "uncheck" are Wake for network access and/or Start up automatically after a power failure.

Power could have 'blinked' while you were asleep and maybe there was a scheduled process on your other mac that be checking the network for something.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Paul

iMac self-powering up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.