You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Cannot get my Macbook to install OS after wiping hard drive

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro Early 2015 which had OS x El Capitan 10.11.6 on it.

I had been having problems for a long time with it logging onto the WiFi (was having to turn the wifi on and off on the macbook every time I loaded a new web page!)

I had tried everything I could find on the internet to try and solve it but it was driving me mad.

So, I decided to try wiping the hard drive to make it as new.

I followed a lifewire guide on doing a clean install using the option key during startup. I managed to get it to start installing the OS but then right at the end it said "OS X could not be installed on your computer. No packages were eligible for install..." I am now stuck with it asking to restart and it doing the same thing.

I have since created a bootable USB drive containing the OS I want to install and have been following this guide https://www.lifewire.com/perform-a-clean-install-of-os-x-el-capitan-on-your-mac-2259940 but I have got to the point where I am supposed to erase the start volume and it won't let me. There seems to be various disk images that I think have been created while I was trying to get the os to work and when I try to install any of them including the one that says 'macintosh HD' it says 'erase process has failed - couldn't unmount disk'.

Having googled that error there are various suggestion on how to deal with it including deleting things through the terminal but I am just not tech savvy or confident enough to do this. I am worried I will make things worse (if they could get any worse!)

If anyone can advise that would be great otherwise I might have to pay someone to look at it which I can't really afford right now!

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 7:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 8:57 AM

The big "Trick" with a Bootable USB-stick installer is that it is a BOOTABLE installer. To get it to work properly, you MUST boot directly from the USB stick, NOT from Recovery or any other instance of MacOS.

Similar questions

1 reply

Help! Cannot get my Macbook to install OS after wiping hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.