You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When iWatch counts VO2 max?

Hi!

I know that apple watch can count VO2 value during walking or running training. In what conditions watch counts VO2? Is there some necessary intensity during walking training or something else?

I see only one VO2 value in my Heals app on iPhone (on Apr 2nd), but I can't quite understand how can I see it for each my walking/running training.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 7

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 12:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 1:17 AM

To accurately measure your VO2 max, you must wear a face mask. This is the only way to know for sure how much oxygen is going in and out of your lungs.

Since Apple Watch is worn on your wrist, not your face, this is out of the question. So instead, Apple Watch provides a “predicted VO2 max” metric. This is an estimate based on changes in your heart rate during exercise.

Are VO2 max predictions accurate?

The relationship between heart rate and VO2 max is not precise, and it varies from one individual to another. So Apple’s predicted VO2 max may not be very accurate. The estimate is also dependent upon your Apple Watch’s heart rate sensor. And while that’s pretty good, it is not infallible.

Why is there no VO2 max data in the Health app?

If you can’t find any VO2 max readings in the Health app, that is probably because you have not yet logged the right kind of workouts with your watch. Only three workout types can produce an estimated VO2 max on Apple Watch: Outdoor Walk,Outdoor Run and hiking.

VO2 max relates to maximal exertion. So you’ll need to log a pretty intensive workout to generate a reading. And you’ll need to sustain it for at least 20 minutes.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 10, 2021 1:17 AM in response to nataliiaH

To accurately measure your VO2 max, you must wear a face mask. This is the only way to know for sure how much oxygen is going in and out of your lungs.

Since Apple Watch is worn on your wrist, not your face, this is out of the question. So instead, Apple Watch provides a “predicted VO2 max” metric. This is an estimate based on changes in your heart rate during exercise.

Are VO2 max predictions accurate?

The relationship between heart rate and VO2 max is not precise, and it varies from one individual to another. So Apple’s predicted VO2 max may not be very accurate. The estimate is also dependent upon your Apple Watch’s heart rate sensor. And while that’s pretty good, it is not infallible.

Why is there no VO2 max data in the Health app?

If you can’t find any VO2 max readings in the Health app, that is probably because you have not yet logged the right kind of workouts with your watch. Only three workout types can produce an estimated VO2 max on Apple Watch: Outdoor Walk,Outdoor Run and hiking.

VO2 max relates to maximal exertion. So you’ll need to log a pretty intensive workout to generate a reading. And you’ll need to sustain it for at least 20 minutes.

When iWatch counts VO2 max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.