You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting MP4

Seems like there is no straight forward way to export an MP4. The only way I can do it is export it with Compressor using the "HTTP Live Streaming" preset but that seems like weird option for MP4. Otherwise I export it as a Quicktime MOV then need to re-compress in another app like Handbrake which diminishes the quality and take more time re-compressing the file twice.

What's the best way? BTW, reason I need MP4 is satisfy non Apple clients who don't want MOV.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 9:04 AM

12 replies

Apr 2, 2021 1:04 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

This if for if you film an event and distribute it on a usb flash drive. You want the most compatible format that everyone can play.

I tried direct export as a Master File but it only saves in as a .mov and there are no setting controls for the bitrate. I always use Compressor because I have more control and can batch exports, go to bed and wake up the next day with multiple movies exported.

Apr 2, 2021 1:30 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

You're right. Missed that "Computer" setting. While that does export a MP4, for my purposes I need the ability to control the file size so that it fits on media or isn't too large to upload/download. Hopefully this thread will help others with similar questions because exporting isn't as straight forward as one would imagine.

Exporting MP4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.