You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My software requires os 10.13.6 or higher. My MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) os is 10.11.6. Is there an update for my system?

My software requires os 10.13.6 or higher. My MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) os is 10.11.6. Is there an update for my system?

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 8:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 10:22 AM

There isn’t an “update”, but there is an “upgrade”, as Apple terms that.

Updates are minor changes and not expected to perturb apps. Upgrades are larger and might or do perturb apps. Updates are offered by default. Upgrades you have to ask for directly, usually through the app store in recent years.

Your MacBook Pro mid 2020 can get to High Sierra 10.13, though that’s also the end of the line for that Mac.

Here’s how to upgrade to a more recent macOS: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Have a complete backup created immediately prior to the upgrade, as that’s your path to recovery should something go wrong.

When you use the link to download High Sierra as listed in that article, you will want to use Safari and not another browser.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 1, 2021 10:22 AM in response to lorne212

There isn’t an “update”, but there is an “upgrade”, as Apple terms that.

Updates are minor changes and not expected to perturb apps. Upgrades are larger and might or do perturb apps. Updates are offered by default. Upgrades you have to ask for directly, usually through the app store in recent years.

Your MacBook Pro mid 2020 can get to High Sierra 10.13, though that’s also the end of the line for that Mac.

Here’s how to upgrade to a more recent macOS: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Have a complete backup created immediately prior to the upgrade, as that’s your path to recovery should something go wrong.

When you use the link to download High Sierra as listed in that article, you will want to use Safari and not another browser.

Apr 1, 2021 10:11 AM in response to lorne212

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1

Part Numbers: MD314xx/A, MD313xx/A

Newest compatible operating system: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Tech Specs: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

User Guide: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

Newer 'Mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13-inch' could use later Catalina 10.15.7.

• Identify your MacBook Pro Model - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201300

• How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.