You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 IMac Freezes On restart

Hi there,

I just added a new Kensington Trackball and downloded the software.

During the install it needs to restart your Mac. Now on the restart I get the apple logo as usual and the bar moves to the right but slows down and stops at the end and freezes. I've tried everything I know of in the past few hours to make it restart but with no success. I'm in some trouble if I can't restart and back this up! Much gratitude if anyone here can help with this?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 1:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 3:06 PM

Disconnect the trackball and try booting. If that fails boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 31, 2021 3:06 PM in response to Steve-91

Disconnect the trackball and try booting. If that fails boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2017 IMac Freezes On restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.