You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My pencil is not pairing with my iPad Air

My pencil is not pairing with my iPad Air I try reset my iPad it still don’t working

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 2:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 3:14 AM

No details here as to your iPad model or Pencil.

Without additional information, the first question must be that of compatibility. Does your iPad support Apple Pencil - and is the Pencil actually compatible with your iPad?

Here is the full compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil (2nd generation)

You can use Apple Pencil (2nd generation) with these iPad models: 

• iPad Air (4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and later
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) and later

Apple Pencil (1st generation)

You can use Apple Pencil (1st generation) with these iPad models:

• iPad (8th generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st or 2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 10.5-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Assuming that you have a suitable iPad and Pencil, this support page may be helpful with pairing and operation of the Pencil:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

In case of continued difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2021 3:14 AM in response to Sweetangel0606

No details here as to your iPad model or Pencil.

Without additional information, the first question must be that of compatibility. Does your iPad support Apple Pencil - and is the Pencil actually compatible with your iPad?

Here is the full compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil (2nd generation)

You can use Apple Pencil (2nd generation) with these iPad models: 

• iPad Air (4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and later
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) and later

Apple Pencil (1st generation)

You can use Apple Pencil (1st generation) with these iPad models:

• iPad (8th generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st or 2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 10.5-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Assuming that you have a suitable iPad and Pencil, this support page may be helpful with pairing and operation of the Pencil:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

In case of continued difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Mar 23, 2021 5:07 AM in response to Sweetangel0606

If the links already provided do not help with resolving the issue, noting that the second generation Apple Pencil must be in direct contact with the iPad magnetic dock to both pair and charge, you would be well advised to seek assistance from Apple Support.

You will find the Get Support Link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil.

Mar 23, 2021 8:36 AM in response to Sweetangel0606

Was it working before? Did you buy the Pencil used or have you had it for a while without it being/getting charged?

That battery is so tiny, it could be dead and it is unable to receive a charge and therefore unable to pair or even be recognized if the Pencil didn't get charged for a substantial amount of time.

Do you really have the iPad Air that was released in 2020? The one without a Home Button?

My pencil is not pairing with my iPad Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.