You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I send and receive messages they appear on my iPhone and iPad. However right now messages coming from a device other than an Apple device appear on my iPhone but not on my iPad. This is currently happening with a group message where some have Apple devices and some use other devices.

i-messages to me appear on both of my devices. Any suggestions out there?

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 7:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 7:51 AM

Do you have Text Message forwarding configured on the iPhone and listed the iPad as a device to forward to? SMS/MMS that come from non-iOS devices cannot come natively to the iPad. You have to use Text Message forwarding to be able to use the iPad. Go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding> turn that on, and select your iPad. The iPad will only appear and work if it is signed into the same Apple ID as the iPhone.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 20, 2021 7:51 AM in response to tfneher

Do you have Text Message forwarding configured on the iPhone and listed the iPad as a device to forward to? SMS/MMS that come from non-iOS devices cannot come natively to the iPad. You have to use Text Message forwarding to be able to use the iPad. Go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding> turn that on, and select your iPad. The iPad will only appear and work if it is signed into the same Apple ID as the iPhone.

Mar 20, 2021 12:59 PM in response to tfneher

You cannot send and receive text messages (SMS/MMS) from Android devices with an iPad on its own. You have to set up the forwarding as I indicated. What version of iOS do you have on the iPhone 8? If it worked before, you would have needed to have text message forwarding on. If you are not seeing Text Message Forwarding on the iPhone, see this, How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support. There is a section about Text Message Forwarding and a footnote that if you do not see Text Message forwarding what to do.

Mar 20, 2021 9:35 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

There isn’t a text message forwarding selection in the settings for messages on my iPhone 8. As I said before I can send and receive individual and group I-messages from either my phone or iPad but when an Android device is involved the messages do not appear on my iPad only. I changed nothing in settings prior to this issue when all messages were received on both of my devices. Now all of a sudden this happened.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.