You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Keyboard Inputs Wrong Keys When Using Bulgarian Phonetic Layout

I have an iPhone XS Max, running iOS 14.4.1.

I often text/message with a bluetooth keyboard while at work. When I switch my in-phone keyboard layout to 'Bulgarian Phonetic', the keys I press on the keyboard do not correspond with the ones shown on-screen, and the phone is instead using the layout of the 'Bulgarian Standard' layout.

For example, pressing the F key should produce the letter Ф, however it produces the letter O, which is in that position on the 'Bulgarian Standard' layout.

This is a new issue, as it used to work a few months ago. Anyone else experience similar issues or have an idea for a solution?

Thank you.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 6:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 8:09 AM

You need to go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge. Make sure that what you have checked is Bulgarian Phonetic and NOT "automatic" or something else.

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 19, 2021 8:48 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for the reply Tom,

I looked under those settings, but there is no "hardware keyboard" listed anywhere. I never changed any settings in regards to this, and the inputs were working fine. I believe a recent OS update created this issue.

The phone doesn't realize there's two separate Bulgarian keyboard options when I use the bluetooth keyboard, and defaults to the Standard one.

Bluetooth Keyboard Inputs Wrong Keys When Using Bulgarian Phonetic Layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.