You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the new Macbook pro connect to an old Thunderbolt display?

I thinking about purchasing the newest Macbook Pro (2021, available now) but want to make sure it will still work with my ancient thunderbolt display which I love and never want to get rid of :-) I'm currently using it with my 2017 Macbook Pro with an adaptor.

I also have an 11" Macbook which I understand does not connect to the Thunderbolt (and from my research it doesn't look like any adapter would make that possible) so wanted to make sure before I hit the buy button that the new Macbook that I wouldn't run into the same limitation.

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 6:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 8:03 AM

I suspect this document will tell you what is possible and what you need: Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C port on your Mac or iPad Pro - Apple Support

1 reply

Can the new Macbook pro connect to an old Thunderbolt display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.