You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add memory to a partition from another partition-?

Hello. I have a time machine back up drive with two partitions. The first partition is used for Time machine and is short on memory (I had to add files to my alternate computer as the main imac is in the shop- gray screen). Question: can I resize and add memory to the first partition borrowed from the 2nd partition without having to re-partition or delete anything from the 2nd partition?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 6:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 7:23 AM

If the drive was formatted in APFS with two separate volumes under one APFS container, then the short answer would have been yes. As this is a TM drive for Mojave, you're going to have difficulties resizing HFS+ partitions without affecting the other one.

The easiest solution would be to reformat the drive into two separate HFS+ partitions - just ensure you specify partition sizes the way you want them to be at that time. Of course, you will lose whatever data is already on the drive.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 11, 2021 7:23 AM in response to rgbnite

If the drive was formatted in APFS with two separate volumes under one APFS container, then the short answer would have been yes. As this is a TM drive for Mojave, you're going to have difficulties resizing HFS+ partitions without affecting the other one.

The easiest solution would be to reformat the drive into two separate HFS+ partitions - just ensure you specify partition sizes the way you want them to be at that time. Of course, you will lose whatever data is already on the drive.

Add memory to a partition from another partition-?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.