You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos taken on a Canon R5 - The Photos program locks when I try to "use RAW as original"

I just bought a Canon EOS R5 camera. I loaded my first photos to my Photos Library today. When I tried to switch to "use RAW as original" (I shoot JPG plus RAW) -- the program locked up with a message that it was converting the master to RAW. I had to force close -- I tried it three times -- all three times, the program locked up. I tried switching older photos in the library to RAW, taken with my Canon Rebel T6i, with no problem.

There was a question in the "community" regarding the same issue with Canon R5 photos - but the answer assumed it was happening to all photos in the library. In my situation, my older photos using a different camera can concert to RAW without a problem.

Is this a problem with the Camera or with Photos? Does anyone know? Is there a fix?

I'm running Catalina, 10.15.7 on a iMac. The Photos program is 5.0 (161.0.120).

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 10:12 AM

Hi -

According to this list, the R5 isn't supported by Catalina. The list for Big Sur says it is. To be honest I'm surprised it's even allowed you to import them - but you may have fooled it by importing jpg at the same time.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210191

So the fix is an upgrade to Big Sur

Your alternative is to use Adobe DNG Converter to first convert them to a DNG file.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 7, 2021 10:12 AM in response to Suzq

Hi -

According to this list, the R5 isn't supported by Catalina. The list for Big Sur says it is. To be honest I'm surprised it's even allowed you to import them - but you may have fooled it by importing jpg at the same time.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210191

So the fix is an upgrade to Big Sur

Your alternative is to use Adobe DNG Converter to first convert them to a DNG file.

Mar 7, 2021 3:15 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Tony,

Thank you for your quick reply -- and the perfect solution. I upgraded my iMac to Big Sur --- and it solved the issue. I can now "use RAW as original" quickly - just as before. : D

I'm very grateful to you -- otherwise I would have gone down paths unnecessary. I have been dragging my feet to upgrade to Big Sur. I really like the cleaner look of my desktop and email!

Susan

Photos taken on a Canon R5 - The Photos program locks when I try to "use RAW as original"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.