You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail graphics not showing

A large number of my incoming emails fail to render graphics even with remote content loaded. Instead I see a placeholder with a question mark in a small blue box in the center of the placeholder. Right or left Clicking in the box does nothing/ What causes this?

27 in. Retina display iMac

macOS 11.2.2

Mail Version 14.0 (3654.60.0.2.21)

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 4:41 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 8, 2021 9:33 AM in response to rwzpv

Hi rwzpv,

We're glad you've reached out through Apple Support Communities for help with this issue you're experiencing in Apple Mail. Let's get to the bottom of this together.

To start, let us know more about what's going on. Is this occurring for images in all new messages, or only in specific messages?

Have you had an opportunity to quit or force close the Mail app since noticing this issue? If so, does it help to restart your Mac?

The following guide has steps to restart:

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

Mar 17, 2021 5:19 AM in response to rwzpv

Hi rwzpv,

Thanks for clarifying. Let's verify if a specific setting is enabled. What happens when you head into the Preferences for the Mail app, then select the Viewing tab, and ensure that the option to "Load remote content in messages" is enabled.

If this option is disabled, images that are in the message may load, while images that are linked to remote content may not. Here's a guide with more information:

Change Viewing preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Take care.

Mar 17, 2021 1:16 PM in response to rwzpv

Hi rwzpv,

Much appreciated. In that case, since the issue remains even when the option to "Load remote content" is enabled, let us know what happens if you start your Mac in safe mode and open these same emails.

Here's a guide with the steps to start up in safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue is resolved in safe mode, restart your Mac to see if it returns after starting up normally. If the issue returns, you'll want to follow the instructions in this guide to test your login items:

Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac - Apple Support

If you find that the issue persists in safe mode, or after testing your login items, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support directly at this point via the following link:

Get Support

Have a great day!

Mar 16, 2021 2:30 PM in response to bailier

It's only in some emails; I can't identify a pattern of senders. Some emails are from individuals, some from organizations. I have restarted my Mac and Quit Mail (CMD-Q) several times to no effect.

Somehow, the Mail rendering engine doesn't know how to handle the inserted images.

Some of the emails from organizations have long URLs behind them that Safari can't open, as below.

Mar 17, 2021 1:02 PM in response to jcasapple

I do not enable "Load remote content in messages" to avoid unwanted images, using excessive bandwidth, and being tracked by the underlying urls. Many such images are not very useful. I always have the option to "load remote content" if it seems valuable. But even when allowing remote images, many never render.

There's got to be a setting somewhere that prevents some kind of images from loading

I wish Apple would allow us to designate "safe" sites where images would automatically load, while other sites' images do not.

Apple Mail graphics not showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.