You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad pro stops charging AFTER unlock accessory

Observing a strange (and annoying behavior) when using high end (30 W) non apple charger.

1. Plug iPad in in locked state, device charges fine. However message pops up on lock screen, asking for unlock.
  2. After unlocking the device though (and allowing iOS to use accessory) charging stops.

So for me the safest bet is to NOT unlock the device until i have it in the properly charged state. Otherwise i need to re-plug again, and if i forget, then I may end up with no battery.

Given that USB-C standard was intended to be universal, i think it is a bit a questionable decision from Apple to even restrict simple charging devices (videos/data i can at understand).

In my opinion this has little to do with user security and much more with profit security :)

(ipad pro 2020, 14.4)

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 7:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 8:06 AM

The USB-C standard describes the physical connectors and signalling specifications. USB-C alone does not prescribe all of the additional/optional services or features that may be implemented by manufacturers or specific devices.

For example, Apple supports “USB PD” (Power Delivery) Protocol for Fast Charging over USB-C. Apple does not support the competing “QC” (Quick Charge) protocol that is implemented by some third-party Power Adapters.

In summary, despite offering a USB-C connection, your third-party Power Adapter may not be compatible with your iPad.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 5, 2021 8:06 AM in response to mcw_1111

The USB-C standard describes the physical connectors and signalling specifications. USB-C alone does not prescribe all of the additional/optional services or features that may be implemented by manufacturers or specific devices.

For example, Apple supports “USB PD” (Power Delivery) Protocol for Fast Charging over USB-C. Apple does not support the competing “QC” (Quick Charge) protocol that is implemented by some third-party Power Adapters.

In summary, despite offering a USB-C connection, your third-party Power Adapter may not be compatible with your iPad.

Mar 10, 2021 8:47 AM in response to mcw_1111

No, Apple doesn’t “decide to be incompatible with everybody else”. You problem is that your chosen third-party Power Adapter doesn’t appear to be compatible with your iPad.

Your statement as to universality of USB-C is at best misunderstood or misinformed.

USB prescribes a set of standards, of which one is USB-C that describes the physical connector and some of the electrical standards. USB-C optionally supports additional functionality, such as USB-PD (Power Delivery) and QC. The former is supported by Apple, the latter is not.

So,as to eliminate the possibility of a hardware fault, you would be well advised to verify correct function of both iPad and Power Adapter by substituting an Apple 30W Power Adapter.

USB-PD also has a number of standards of its own - including power “profiles” which may, or may not, be supported by connected devices.

Mar 12, 2021 11:30 AM in response to LotusPilot

sorry, but you are wrong again.

first of all usb stand for Universal Serial Bus. Are you aware of the meaning of universal?

second, Apple has a history of refusing regulator requests and just did this again recently. Read here if you are ignorant of this fact: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-apple-charger/apple-pushes-back-against-eu-common-charger-warns-of-innovation-risks-idUSKBN1ZM2EV

third any usb Standard is prescribed by a set of compliance rules, and as you correctly stated not everybody needs to support all of a standards prescribed functions, but no matter what it always has to meet the minimum standards. This means yes, you may not have a quick charge feature, but you still need to support regular charging. This is all prescribed by the USB Implementers Forum here: https://usb.org/about

However given the aggressive tone you spread this misinformation, I guess you are not really interested in facts, but just make sure, that Apple is not to blame. Nevertheless for everybody else it is kind of obvious, that Apple is to blame, cause at the end the accessories business constitutes for them a large share of the profit. And if everybody is compatible with everybody else, and only Apple is not, then its not the others who are incompatible. Kind of logical!

iPad pro stops charging AFTER unlock accessory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.