You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Created volumes and partition not showing up in Startup Disk

Hello.

I'm trying to install Catalina on a second volume in order to dual boot with Big Sur, which is the current macOS installed on my Macbook. However, the volumes and partition I create from disk utility are not listed in Startup Disk. The only disk that is showing up is Macintosh HD but somewhow, the partition and volumes I created are shown in the locations. Is there anything I might be missing to create bootable volumes? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 10:47 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 3, 2021 9:47 AM in response to jamie_cd

Hi jamie_cd,

We understand that you're having trouble creating a bootable installer. We'd be happy to help you out with this. To clarify, are you connecting an external hard drive or are you attempting to do this on your internal hard drive?

To create a bootable installer, please follow these steps: How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Should you run into any issues doing so, start up in safe mode to see if anything changes: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If needed, try creating one from another user account. If you don't have one, you can create on in the Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Mar 3, 2021 10:23 AM in response to jamie_cd

I successfully CCC cloned Big Sur and installed Mojave on an external disk's two APFS volumes. I usually Option-boot and then do the selection but they do show also in Startup Disk pref when I want a more permanent setting.

How did you Install Catalina to the other volume?

"Some Big Sur startup volumes don't appear in the Startup Disk Preference Pane"

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/macos-big-sur-known-issues

Created volumes and partition not showing up in Startup Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.