You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will ECG work outside of China?

I am an American living in China. I bought my first Apple Watch (Series 6) wanting to use ECG, only to find out it doesn’t work in China.

I have a US Apple ID, when I setup the region as US and signed in with US ID the ECG app appeared on my watch. However when I try to use it, it say the app is not supported in this region.

I accept the fact that I can’t use the function in China. My question is, will it work outside the country? Can I use ECG with a Chinese bought watch in the US? By the looks of it (app appearing, message wording) I think it should work but I can’t be sure. Anyone experienced this?

Apple Watch

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 10:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 12:25 AM

The ECG won't function in China, but that restriction is software only, the function is still built into the watch. I think that should you return to the US and apply a watchOS update in the US where ECG is allowed, the function would begin to work.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 11.2.2; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.3.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.4; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.4; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.4; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.;  HomePods, audioOS 14.4 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 3, 2021 12:25 AM in response to pihcho

The ECG won't function in China, but that restriction is software only, the function is still built into the watch. I think that should you return to the US and apply a watchOS update in the US where ECG is allowed, the function would begin to work.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 11.2.2; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.3.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.4; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.4; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.4; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.;  HomePods, audioOS 14.4 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Feb 27, 2021 1:41 AM in response to pihcho

in order for ECG to work the watch has to be purchased in a country where it's approved and used in a country where it's approved, so no but it likely will the day the Chinese government approve it, that being said ECG would sort of result in medical equipment grade health data of Chinese citizens would be stored in servers of an American company.

Mar 2, 2021 9:47 PM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for the reply Rudegar. Just to be clear, I bought the watch in Shanghai Apple store and registered & logged in with my US Apple ID. The ECG app is on the screen (my Chinese friends do not have it) and the app starts if I click it but won’t run saying “the app is not allowed in this Region.” From the looks of it, it should work outside China. Just wanted to be sure i explained the situation clearly. Cheers

Will ECG work outside of China?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.