You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Analog casette tape to WAV file via 21.5 inch 2017 iMac

I've tried to copy an analog tape I made many years ago into Audacity on my iMac 2017 21.5 inch desktop computer. The iMac only has one sound port. It says, all I have to do is plug the output from the tape deck into the headphone jack on the iMac and the deck will appear on the list of devices in the system preference, sound window. But it never appears. I play the tape, but the iMac records the sound in the room I'm working in. Is there a third device needed here? Something that would attach between the iMac and the tape deck?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 3:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 3:29 PM

With the cassette deck plugged in open System Preferences->Sound->Input and see if there’s an external mic listed. if so switch to that input and try again. If not then you will indeed need a third device, a USB Audio adapter that plugs into a USB port and has an analog input for the conversion. Amazon will have dozens of them for sale.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2021 3:29 PM in response to myownmanager

With the cassette deck plugged in open System Preferences->Sound->Input and see if there’s an external mic listed. if so switch to that input and try again. If not then you will indeed need a third device, a USB Audio adapter that plugs into a USB port and has an analog input for the conversion. Amazon will have dozens of them for sale.

Analog casette tape to WAV file via 21.5 inch 2017 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.