You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac will not; Boot, nor start Disk Utility or Recovery mode

Hi

I have a 2013 27" with 32GB ram and wanted to do a factory reset and went into the disk utility and deleted the Macintosh HD, it's a hybrid disk with a combined 1,2GB, and something went wrong and it wanted to restart.

When restating there is no chime like normal and the apple logo is only there for a second, then it comes to a screen saying 'your computer restarted because of a problem press a key or wait a few seconds' and then it restarts again and keep looping like this.

I have tried to enter disk utility mode and recovery mode etc. but nothing happens. I have tried Command+R, shift, option etc etc etc - nothing.

I have a USB with a Catalina install on it connected, but as it will not enter disk utility I can not select it.

What can I do? How can I get access to either disk and get the new install on the way?

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 6:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 10:12 AM

So when you power off your Mac, and power it back on while holding CMD-R, you do not get a utilities screen?

If you have a wireless keyboard, try connecting a cable to it to your Mac, and try the above step. Sometimes, a wired-keyboard works better than a wireless when getting to the boot screen.

Similar questions

11 replies

Feb 23, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Bruce Michel

Yes, tried all of those, nothing. The only difference I get trying some of the different things is a grey mac prohibited sign will come on a white screen and then the computer will try to restart again and quickly come to the 'your computer restarted because of a problem press a key or wait a few seconds' screen again.

And still no startup sound at any point.

I've tried Internet Recovery, option+command+R, not working. It just keeps going in the same loop.

Feb 23, 2021 10:43 AM in response to TDV8

Yes, any USB keyboard will work. The Command key on an Apple keyboard is the same as the Ctrl. key on a Windows keyboard.

On an Apple keyboard you continue to hold down Command + R until the computer starts in the Recovery Partition. The error a lots of users make is to type the keys and release them before the computer has time to "get" the command.

Feb 23, 2021 12:59 PM in response to TDV8

I'm happy to hear you got that resolved. When I'm doing a MacOS install, I always plug the lightning cable in to my keyboard before I do it to eliminate any drama that might occur when the OS gets wiped out. It's a quirk at times that the keyboard loses its connection during these moments. I also plug in a wired, USB mouse. Once the installation is going and I know that my wireless mouse is working, then I remove the USB mouse.

Many people don't realize that plugging the lightning cable into your keyboard not only makes it become a standard wired keyboard, it's also a great way to re-pair the keyboard (or mouse/trackpad) to one's Mac instantly.

Bluetooth is great... when it works. Can't beat a hardwire.

Imac will not; Boot, nor start Disk Utility or Recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.