You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Mini as Default Audio Device for Mac Mini

computer : Mac Mini M1 running macOS 11.2.1 Big Sur

speaker : HomePod Mini

In SYSTEM PREFERENCES → SOUND → OUTPUT, the following devices are available:

NAME TYPE
monitor # 1 HDMI
monitor # 2 DisplayPort
Mac mini Speakers Built-in
HomePod Mini Airplay
Apple TV # 1 Airplay
Apple TV # 2 Airplay

I set the HomePod Mini to be the output device, and it works just as I want it to.

The problem is that when the system is rebooted, the default audio device reverts back to the Mac Mini's internal speakers.

Is there a way to keep the HomePod Mini as the default audio output device?

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 1:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 2:52 PM

Yeah, it's rather annoying (and ridiculous) that the connection isn't as 'reliable' as one would think it would be in 2021, especially within the Apple echosystem. What's even more annoying is how laggy the audio is with pause/play.

Overall, I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with how this setup 'works.' I was really hoping to ditch my wired speaker setup with the HomePod Mini, but I think I might be better served with a BlueTooth speaker instead.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 5, 2021 2:52 PM in response to Robert Racansky

Yeah, it's rather annoying (and ridiculous) that the connection isn't as 'reliable' as one would think it would be in 2021, especially within the Apple echosystem. What's even more annoying is how laggy the audio is with pause/play.

Overall, I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with how this setup 'works.' I was really hoping to ditch my wired speaker setup with the HomePod Mini, but I think I might be better served with a BlueTooth speaker instead.

HomePod Mini as Default Audio Device for Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.