You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Thunderbolt 2 to USB C

I have a late 2015 27" iMac (17,1) HDD only. It is running a bit slower than I would like and am looking for a way to speed it up a bit before getting a new Apple silicon version whenever that happens. On Big Sur 1.2.

I recently got a Crucial X8 SSD for Time Machine. Right now connected to my USB 3 port via a supplied cable adapter for the attached USB C cable. Speed is not too important for that device, but I wonder if I can use the Thunderbolt 2 port along with the Apple adapter cable to go from 5 to 10 Mb/s.

If that works, could I just get another one and use that as the bootable drive? This would be a lot easier, although perhaps not quite as fast, as doing internal surgery on the box using an OWC SSD replacement for the HD.

So, two questions:

1. Is this a workable way to connect the SSD? I am not quite sure about the 'gender' of the connectors based on the image on the Apple Store.
  2. Is this a reasonable way to get a bit more speed without the complexity and risk of the alternative?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 10:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 3:30 PM

Hey Bruce Michel,

We understand you have a late 2015 27" iMac and recently purchased an SSD to use for Time Machine backups. It's currently connected with a USB-C to USB-A adapter in order to be compatible with your iMac and have some questions about your options moving forward. We'll be happy to help.

If you're referring to the following adapter cable, the male side is the USB-C, not the Thunderbolt 2, so it doesn't appear as though this will work with your 2015 iMac as it's not compatible with it: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

This adapter is to be used on newer Macs to connect Thunderbolt 2 devices.

If your iMac only has USB-A and and Thunderbolt 2 ports, you'll be limited to the max speeds available on these ports.

We hope this information helps out.

Take care!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 22, 2021 3:30 PM in response to Bruce Michel

Hey Bruce Michel,

We understand you have a late 2015 27" iMac and recently purchased an SSD to use for Time Machine backups. It's currently connected with a USB-C to USB-A adapter in order to be compatible with your iMac and have some questions about your options moving forward. We'll be happy to help.

If you're referring to the following adapter cable, the male side is the USB-C, not the Thunderbolt 2, so it doesn't appear as though this will work with your 2015 iMac as it's not compatible with it: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

This adapter is to be used on newer Macs to connect Thunderbolt 2 devices.

If your iMac only has USB-A and and Thunderbolt 2 ports, you'll be limited to the max speeds available on these ports.

We hope this information helps out.

Take care!

Feb 23, 2021 9:07 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I suspected as much. In any case I did make a bootable test clone on to the SSD. Even with just the USB 3.0 speed, there was a considerable improvement in startup, starting users and doing some tasks. Likely the improvement is in not having the latency of the rotating disk as the SATA connection is at least as fast. Fewer 'beachballs".

This will do at least until the new iMacs arrive.

Feb 23, 2021 9:46 AM in response to Bruce Michel

Yes, the improvement is dramatic and I'm glad there are fewer beachballs.

One the new iMacs we are all waiting on those, we just don't know when the new Apple Silicon versions will be released. I bought what I think is the last Intel iMac, an August 2020 27". For my needs its fine but I know a lot of people want the Apple Silicon versions when they arrive.

Best of luck.

Connect Thunderbolt 2 to USB C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.