You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keys wont type, just performs random shortcuts

when i try to type on my macbook keyboard it just does random shortcuts, like closing tabs when i press W and other tasks, or it just makes that beep noise (you know the one where its unable to do something)

when i try to open apps on the dock it also opens applications with the app highlighted so i have to click it again instead of just running the app.

it happened randomly while i was watching youtube and im not sure what triggered it

its very annoying since i cannot use my laptop at all

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 5:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 8:03 AM

I think it’s fairly obvious what is happening...

Your Command key somehow became stuck, so W becomes Command-W, etc

Inspect visually, maybe some cruft got inserted beneath the key. What mac and keyboard? Maybe it is one of those “butterfly keyboards” that came with macs from about 2016 to 2019. Some may qualify for a free repair, too.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 19, 2021 8:03 AM in response to miia4eva

I think it’s fairly obvious what is happening...

Your Command key somehow became stuck, so W becomes Command-W, etc

Inspect visually, maybe some cruft got inserted beneath the key. What mac and keyboard? Maybe it is one of those “butterfly keyboards” that came with macs from about 2016 to 2019. Some may qualify for a free repair, too.

keys wont type, just performs random shortcuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.