You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to access iCloud backups from several days ago and restore an iPad from those instead of the most recent iCloud backup?

I recently restored an iPad from the iCloud backup that was available (the most recent one is the only one showing up on my list of backups, and that one says it is from yesterday) but the app data I lost was lost just before that backup, so I would need to restore from an earlier iCloud backup to retrieve the missing data. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 5:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 8:02 AM

Sorry, no, not possible.

Your iCloud backup is effectively incremental. Each time the iCloud backup process runs, changes are backed-up to the existing iCloud backup.

iCloud does not maintain multiple full backups of any single device. This strategy, whilst lacking the functionality that you seek, provides a fast/efficient backup of your device(s).

If you wish to keep multiple full backups of your iPad, you’ll need to use a PC (with iTunes installed) or Mac (with iTunes or Finder) as appropriate the installed version of macOS). Having created a device backup, it will need to be manually archived prior to creating a new full backup of the device. In addition to lack of automation, the time required for each backup will be considerable - in direct proportion to the amount of locally stored data.

Be aware that neither iCloud not iTunes backups include installed Apps or externally sourced media. References to Apps are saved - permitting automatic reloading of Apps from the App Store if they remain available. Externally synchronised media must be reloaded from source.

I hope this insight and clarification proves to be helpful.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2021 8:02 AM in response to Sareea_2011

Sorry, no, not possible.

Your iCloud backup is effectively incremental. Each time the iCloud backup process runs, changes are backed-up to the existing iCloud backup.

iCloud does not maintain multiple full backups of any single device. This strategy, whilst lacking the functionality that you seek, provides a fast/efficient backup of your device(s).

If you wish to keep multiple full backups of your iPad, you’ll need to use a PC (with iTunes installed) or Mac (with iTunes or Finder) as appropriate the installed version of macOS). Having created a device backup, it will need to be manually archived prior to creating a new full backup of the device. In addition to lack of automation, the time required for each backup will be considerable - in direct proportion to the amount of locally stored data.

Be aware that neither iCloud not iTunes backups include installed Apps or externally sourced media. References to Apps are saved - permitting automatic reloading of Apps from the App Store if they remain available. Externally synchronised media must be reloaded from source.

I hope this insight and clarification proves to be helpful.

Is there a way to access iCloud backups from several days ago and restore an iPad from those instead of the most recent iCloud backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.