You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hang on startup

Hi - I can't get past the startup bar.. it just hangs - I've left it overnight - . Ive restarted - zapped p-ram - done an internet reinstall - run diskcheck - (says all OK) .. just cant get past it .. Currently I can access the iMac hard drive by starting in target mode onto my macpro so I can see the hard drives and i have everything I need off it... I have tried to reinstall from time machine but that failed too..

Is there anyway to see of the hard drive is failing ? - Disk first aid said it was OK.. I can't see what else it could be.. Its a 1tb fusion drive

2012 iMac - catalina

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 2:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 2:05 AM

Hi Jon Gibson-Skinner,

While this may be a hardware issue, you can try Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and resetting the SMC: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Jack

2 replies

hang on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.